Medicine & Global Survival
Publication of M&GS was suspended in 2002. Special editions, such as the one devoted to the Fukushima nuclear reactor disaster in 2011, may appear periodically.
IPPNW's journal, M&GS, was an international peer-reviewed journal devoted exclusively to the health and environmental consequences of war, weapons of mass destruction, environmental degradation, natural and human-caused disasters, human rights questions, and humanitarian intervention.
M&GS provided a forum for the development of a knowledge base and informed discussion about issues crucial to IPPNW and its members.
From 1991-1994, when it was published by Physicians for Social Responsibility and known as The PSR Quarterly, and from 1994-2000 as M&GS, the Editor-in-Chief was Jennifer Leaning, Director of the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights at Harvard University. From 2000-2002, the Editor-in-Chief was David Rush, Professor Emeritus at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University.
A complete archive of feature articles published in M&GS and its predecessor, The PSR Quarterly, is available here as PDF downloads.
Medicine and Global Survival
The Fukushima Nuclear Disaster - special publication - June 2011 [PDF]
The Fukushima Nuclear Crisis, Month 1: A Brief Chronology
Fukushima Radioisotopes: Some Key Facts
- In the News
- A First-Hand Account of Japan's Nuclear Crisis. Katsumi Furitsu, MD
- Young doctors speak out on the Fukushima disaster
- Japan's Nuclear Nightmare. Ronald McCoy, MD
- PSR Press Conference
- What may we learn from Fukushima? Frank Boulton, MD FRCPE FRCPath
- Radiation in medicine and in nuclear power plants: the same but very different. Andreas Nidecker, MD
- Children, Teens and the Japan Disaster. Harry Wang, MD
VOLUME 7, NUMBER 2 - FEBRUARY 2002
- Special Section: Where Do We Go From Here? The Aftermath
of September 11. Douglas Holdstock,MSc, MD, FRCP; Neil Arya, MD; Mary-Wynne
Ashford, MD, PhD; Ernesto Kahan MD, MPH; Zia Mian, PhD; Arjun Makhijani, PhD;
Rasil Basu, MA, LLB, LLM [PDF]
US Casualties and Destruction of US Medical Services From Attacks by Russian Nuclear
Forces. Ira Helfand, MD; Lachlan Forrow, MD; Michael McCally, MD, PhD; Robert
K. Musil, MPH, PhD. [PDF]
The Clean-Up Of a Nuclear Test Site. Alan Parkinson, BScTech, MScSoc [PDF]
Preparedness: Cooptation of Public Health? Victor W. Sidel, MD; Robert M.
Gould, MD; Hillel W. Cohen, DrPH [PDF]
- From Enemy
to Peacemaker: The Role of Private Military Companies in Sub-Saharan Africa. Jesse Selber, MPH, Kebba Jobarteh, MPH [PDF]
- The Severe
Impact of Climate Change on Developing Countries
Dr. Joachim Gross [PDF]
VOLUME 7, NUMBER 1 - APRIL 2001
- Why Mistakes Happen Even When
the Stakes Are High:
The Many Dimensions of Human allibility.
Dumas, PhD [PDF]
- Japanese Civil Society and U.S.-Japan Security Relations in the 1990s
Naoki Kamimura, PhD [PDF]
Arms: A Major Public Health Hazard. Wendy Cukier, MA, MPH; Antoine Chapdelaine,
MD, MPH, FRCS(c). [PDF]
- Armed Violence. Robin Coupland, FRC. [PDF]
in Russia and the Former Soviet Union: A Lethal Epidemic
Commentary & Opinion
Roman Dolgov. [PDF]
- Depleted Uranium Weapons and Acute Post-War Health
Effects: An IPPNW Assessment.
VOLUME 6, NUMBER 2 - JUNE 2000
- The Medical
First Response to Bioterrorism.
Tara OToole, MD, MPH. [PDF]
Public Health Response to Bioterrorism.
Scott Lillibridge, MD. [PDF]
and Parkinsonism: Is There a Link between Environmental Toxins and Neurodegenerative
Disorders? Alan Lockwood, MD. [PDF]
Emergencies: Lessons Learned from the Emergency Management of Hunger Strikers. Frederick M. Burkle, Jr, MD, MPH; Jimmy T.S. Chan, MBBS (HK), FRCS (Ed); Richard
S.D. Yeung, MBBCh (NUI), MRCP (UK); Hung C. Lee, MBBS (HK); Jaime Bendeck, MD;
Cheong F. Yam, MBChB (HK); Raymond L. M. Chan, MBBS (HK). [PDF]
Relief: A Millennium Gift for Global Health.
Mike Rowson. [PDF]
Security and Public Health: Steps Toward a New Theoretical Framework. Tee
L. Guidotti, MD, MPH; John M. Balbus, MD, MPH. [PDF]
Emergence of Megacities. J.R. Schubel, Carolyn Levi. [PDF]
SIrUS Project: Progress Report on "Superfluous Injury or Unnecessary Suffering"
in Relation to the Legality of Weapons.
Robin M. Coupland, MD; Peter Herby [PDF]
VOLUME 6, NUMBER 1 - AUGUST 1999
- Childhood Cancer in
the Vicinity of German Nuclear Power Plants
Alfred Körblein, MD and
Wolfgang Hoffman, MD, MPH. [PDF]
- Regional Nuclear
War in South Asia: Effects on Surrounding Countries
Nicholas Wilson, MBChB,
FAFPHM, MPH. [PDF]
Hospitals in War
Services for Refugees in Host Country Hospitals: The Example of Croatia (1993-1997). Leila J. Richards, MD, MPH. [PDF]
- Emergency Medical
Care During the First Three Months of the Siege of Sarajevo.
MD, MPH. [PDF]
Should Have Been Done in Kosovo? John Loretz, Herman Spanjaard, MD, Victor
W. Sidel, MD. [PDF]
- Facing Up to Genocide:
The Obligation to Intervene. Holly Burkhalter [PDF]
NUMBER 2 - OCTOBER 1998
Special Report: The South
- Effects of a Nuclear Blast
M. V. Ramana, PhD [PDF]
Politics of South Asias Nuclear Crisis. Zia Mian, PhD [PDF]
Acts: South Asian Dissenters Speak Out Despite the Risks
John Loretz [PDF]
- The Anthrax Dilemma. Victor W. Sidel, MD, Meryl Nass, MD, Tod Ensign, JD, LLM [PDF]
Population: Milestones, Hopes, and Concerns.
Vaclav Smil, PhD [PDF]
Letter From Chelyabinsk--April, 1998:
The End of Glasnost or the Beginning
of a Civil Society?
David Rush, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 5, NUMBER
1 - JANUARY 1998
- False Alarm or
Public Health Hazard?: Chronic Low-Dose External Radiation Exposure Wolfgang
Köhnlein, PhD, Rudi H. Nussbaum, PhD. [PDF]
Landmines: A Long Term Burden on Global Health
Ian Maddocks, MD [PDF]
on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production, and Transfer of Anti-Personnel
Mines and on Their Destruction [Excerpts]
a Determination of Which Weapons Cause "Superfluous Injury or Unnecessary Suffering". Robin M. Coupland, MD [PDF]
- Next Steps
After Rio +5: A Physician Briefing on Health and the Environment
McCally, MD [PDF]
- Drought and Health Implications
in Mozambique. Miguel Aragón, MD; Avertino Barreto, MD, Msc.; Paul
R. Epstein, MD, MPH [PDF]
- Commentary -- Nuclear
Disarmament: Reality or Illusion? Gururaj Mutalik, MD [PDF]
Looking Beyond the Chemical Weapons Convention
Victor W. Sidel, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 4 - 1997
- From Arms Race to Human Race.
Arías Sanchez. [PDF]
- Nuclear Weapons, the
Military and the Law: Reflections on the World Court Decision
Commander, Royal Navy (Retired). [PDF]
- The Future
of the Global Physicians Movement. Jonathan M. Mann, MD, MPH [PDF]
and the Prevention of War
Joanna Santa Barbara, MBBS, FRANZCP, FRCP. [PDF]
on a Misunderstood Decision: The World Court's Near Perfect Advisory Opinion in
the Nuclear Weapons Case
Peter Weiss [PDF]
and Nuclear Weapons.David Krieger. [PDF]
VOLUME 3 - 1996
[As of January 1996, M&GS suspended
quarterly print publication and published new articles entirely on the Internet.]
- Emergency Psychiatric Service Following the
Great Hanshin Awaji Earthquake
Masaya Yoshioka, et al. [PDF]
Mysteries of Reprocessing Spent Nuclear Fuel
David Rush. [PDF]
From Kiev and Moscow: Nuclear Realities Ten Years after Chernobyl
Rush, MD [PDF]
- Psychosocial Interventions for
Children of War: The Value of a Model of Resiliency.
Roberta J. Apfel,
MD, MPH; Bennett Simon, MD [PDF]
Effects of Weapons: Defining Superfluous Injury and Unnecessary Suffering
Robin Coupland, F.R.C.S. [PDF]
- Infectious Diseases:
An Ecological Perspective.
Mary E. Wilson, MD (Originally published in
the British Medical Journal, December 23, 1995). [PDF]
International Arms Trade and Its Impact on Health.
Victor W. Sidel, MD
(Originally published in the British Medical Journal, December 23, 1995). [PDF]
Lamentation: For the Forgotten Victims of Medical Science.
William E. Seidelman,
MD (Originally published in the British Medical Journal, December 7, 1996). [PDF]
a Slippery Slope or Sudden Subversion: German Medicine and National Socialism
Hartmut M Hanauske-Abel, MD (Originally published in the British
Medical Journal, December 7, 1996). [PDF]
Sector Response to Security Threats During the Civil War in El Salvador.
Paula E. Brentlinger, MD (Originally published in the British Medical Journal,
December 7, 1996). [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 4 - DECEMBER 1995
Consequences of Exposures to Ionizing Radiation from External and Internal Sources:
Challenges to Radiation Protection Standards and Biomedical Research
H.Nussbaum, MD, Wolfgang Köhnlein, PhD [PDF]
Health as a Sustainable State (Part 2).
Dr. Grazia Borrini-Feyerabend,
- Health Consequences and Medical
and Public Health Response to the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake in Japan: A Case
Study in Disaster Planning.
Osamu Kunii, MD, MPH, Masumi Akagi, Etsuko
Kita, MD, PhD. [PDF]
- The Environment,
Risk, and Health: Notes Toward a New Framework for Thinking About the Issues
Tee L.Guidotti, MD [PDF]
- The Role of
Medicine in Conservation: A Look at Madagascar.
Oliver Backhouse, MD [PDF]
- A Remedial Treasure in Our Tropical
Arnoud P.van Seters, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 3 - SEPTEMBER 1995
Journal, July 1995.
David Rush, MD.
the Shadow of Nuremberg: Pursuing War Criminals in the Former Yugoslavia and Rwanda.
Eric Stover. [PDF]
- Whither Nuremberg?:
Medicine's Continuing Nazi Heritage.
William E. Seidelman, MD. [PDF]
and the Nuclear Question.
Norman Paech, JD. [PDF]
Health as a Sustainable State (Part 1).
Dr. Grazia Borrini-Feyerabend,
- Can We Prevent the Use of Chemical
Weapons by Terrorists?
R. Justin Smith, JD, Victor W. Sidel, MD, Meryl
Nass, MD, Leonard A. Cole, PhD, Kenjiro Yokoro, MD. [PDF]
Bioethics: Converting Sustainable Development to Global Survival
Potter, PhD, Lisa Potter, BA. [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 2 - 1995
- The Fifty Years of the Two Japans.
Yoshikazu Sakamoto. [PDF]
- The Debacle of
the Enola Gay Exhibit: The Politicization of History.
- The Fate of the Gypsies at Auschwitz
Karl Bonhoeffer, MD. [PDF]
- Life After Auschwitz
and Buchenwald: Experiences of a Concentration Camp Survivor.
- Children of the Atomic Bomb: An
American Physician's Memoir of Nagasaki, Hiroshima, and the Marshall Islands.
James N. Yamazaki, MD, Louis B. Fleming. [PDF]
Between Conscience Complicity: Human Rights Violations and the Health Professions.
Torsten Lucas, MD, Christian Pross, MD. [PDF]
Weapons Illegality -- The Public Health Case.
Nicholas Wilson, FAFPHM,
DIH, MPH, Michael Baker, FAFPHM, DipObs. [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 1 - 1995
of Militarism: Toxic Contamination, the Environment, and Health.
MD, MPH [PDF]
- A Letter from Krasnoyarsk.
David Rush, MD. [PDF]
Defense Nuclear Materials Production Sites: Do They Attract or Repel Jobs?
Jurgen Brauer, PhD. [PDF]
Environmental and Economic Legacy of the Nuclear Arms Race on the Communities
of the Nuclear Weapons Complex: A Commentary on Jurgen Brauer.
- The Israeli-Palestinian Peace Process
-- A New Lease on Life in the Middle East: Medical and Environmental Perspectives.
Ernesto Kahan, MD, MPH. [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 4 - 1994
- Humanitarian Action in Current Armed Conflicts:
Opportunities and Obstacles.
Remi Russbach, MD and Daniel Fink, PhD. [PDF]
Rapid Assessment of Health Problems in Refugee and Displaced Populations.
Michael Toole, MD. [PDF]
- Preventing Humanitarian
Crises Through Peace-Building and Democratic Empowerment: Lessons From Cambodia.Stephen P. Marks, PhD. [PDF]
- Complex Humanitarian
Emergencies: Moral Quandaries.
Sissela Bok, PhD. [PDF]
Failures of "Intervention-From-Above": Is There an Alternative Model for Humanitarian
Richard Falk, SJD. [PDF]
Diplomat/Physician in the Emerging International System
MD, Christopher M. Seniw, BA and Allan E. Goodman, MPA, PhD. [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 3 - 1994
Why There Must Be a War Crimes Tribunal.
Napoleon Abdulai [PDF]
War and Public Health.
Jonathan M. Mann, MD, MPH, Ernest Drucker, PhD,
Daniel Tarantola, MD, Mary Pat McCabe [PDF]
Sanctions, and Humanitarian Assistance: The Iraqi Stalemate
- Human Security During Complex Humanitarian
Emergencies: Rapid Assessment and Institutional Capabilities.
Chen, MD and Aafje Reitveld, MD [PDF]
North Korean Nuclear Crisis. Paul Leventhal and Steven Dolley [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 2 - 1994
Violence-A Call for Physician Activism: Lessons from the Struggle to Ban Weapons
of Mass Destruction.
Robert C. Wesley, MD and Victor W. Sidel, MD [PDF]
Steve Wing [PDF]
Letter From Osijek.
Robert Chernack, MD and Lawrence Dressner [PDF]
Third World Debt as a Symptom of the Global Crisis.
Robin Stott, FRCP [PDF]
Resources and the Environment.
James O'Connell, PhD [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 1 - 1994
- U.S. Government-Sponsored
Radiation Research on Humans, 1945-1975
Michael McCally, MD, PhD, Christine
K. Cassel, MD and Daryl G.Kimball [PDF]
of Antipersonnel Mines: What Is Being Done?
Robin M. Coupland, FRCS and
Remi Russbach, MD [PDF]
- The Impact of Energy
Use in Industrialised Countries upon Global Population Health.
J.McMichael, MBBS, PhD, Alistair J.Woodward, MBBS, MPH, PhD, and Ruud E.van Leeuwen,
- Medicine, Public Health, and
the Lurid Ethics of the Cold War
H. Jack Geiger, MD [PDF]
and Nuclear Accidents in the Southern Urals
Vyacheslav B. Sharov, MD [PDF]
the Sensitivity of Children to Radiation.
Roland Scholz, MD [PDF]
Reflections on the Day No One Died.
H. Jack Geiger, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 3, NUMBER 4 - 1993
- Population: What Does It Mean to Health? J. Joseph Speidel, MD, MPH
- Global Climate Change and Human Ecology. Tee L. Guidotti, MD, MPH
- A New International Order and Its Implications for U.S. Foreign and Defense Policy. Robert S. McNamara
- Sentencing Environmental Offenders. Paul A. Chernoff, J.D.
- Population: A View From the South. Angela M. Wakhweya, MD
- Population: The Link Between North and South. Hari Sharan, PhD
- Threats to a Sustainable Future: We Know Enough to Start Changing. Andrew St. John, A.I.A.
- A Proposal to Promote Clean Energy in the Developing World. Hari Sharan, PhD
VOLUME 3, NUMBER 3 - 1993
- The Hanford Data: Issues of Age at Exposure and Dose Recording. Alice M. Stewart,
MD and George W. Kneale, MD [PDF]
- Dioxin and Its Effects on Reproductive Systems. Claude Hughes, PhD, MD [PDF]
- Medical Education and Global Climate Change: Report of a Third-Year Course. Tee L. Gusidotti, MD, MPH [PDF]
- Peacekeeping in the Name of Humanity. William Lewis, PhD [PDF]
- The Effects of Tropical Deforestation on Human Health. Roger L. Shapiro, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 3, NUMBER 2 - 1993
- A Case Study in Estimating Casualties from War and Its Aftermath: The 1991 Persian Gulf War. Beth Osborne Daponte, M.A.
VOLUME 3, NUMBER 1 - 1993
- On Childhood Lead Poisoning and Social Responsibility. Evelyn A. Mauss, Sc.D. [PDF]
- Population and Environment: Core Issues for PSR's Agenda on Peace and Security. Gilbert S. Omenn, MD, PhD [PDF]
- Farewell to Arms: The Impact of the Arms Race on the Human Condition. Victor W. Sidel, MD [PDF]
- Science, Public Policy, and a Critic's Dilemma. Sandra Scarr, PhD [PDF]
- The Right to Know in a Troubled and Victimized Society. Svetlana Tutorskaya [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 4 - 1992
- Estimate of the Risk of Leukemia to Residents Exposed to Radiation as a Result of a Nuclear Accident in the Southern Urals. Mira M. Kossenko, MD, Marina O. Degteva, PhD, Nelly A. Petrushova, MD [PDF]
- Anthrax Epizootic in Zimbabwe, 1978-1980: Due to Deliberate Spread? Meryl Nass, MD [PDF]
- Scientific Integrity and Adequate Health Services: Twin Casualties of the Nuclear Arms Race. Bruce Amundson, MD [PDF]
- Understanding the Health Impacts of Nuclear Weapons Production in the Southern Urals: An Important Beginning. Scott Davis, PhD [PDF]
- International Arms Trade: A Barrier to Democracy and to Public Health. George A. Ellsworth, MD, Christine K. Cassel, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 3 - 1992
- Childhood Lead Poisoning: Man-Made
Herbert L. Needleman, MD [PDF]
- Desert Storm? or Thyroid
Storm? An Inquiry.
Herbert L. Abrams, MD [PDF]
- Cholera and the Environment:
An Introduction to Climate Change.
Paul R. Epstein, MD, MPH [PDF]
for Global Environmental Action.
Gro Harlem Brundtland, MD, MPH [PDF]
Landmark Needleman Study of Childhood Lead Poisoning: Scientific and Social Aftermath.
Paul Mushak, PhD [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 2 - 1992
- Trends in Soviet and Post-Soviet
Lawrence M. Probes, MD, Vladimir Kouznetsov, MD, PhD, Vladimir
Verbitski, MD, PhD, and Vadim Molodyi, MD [PDF]
- Lead Poisoning Among Children
in Katowice, Poland.
Robert W. Ryder, MD [PDF]
- Children of Armed Conflict:
The Case of 105 Ethiopian Children Repatriated After Extended Stays in a Somali
Almaz Eshete, Ed.M. [PDF]
- Mustard Gas.
Seth Schonwald, MD [PDF]
Thoughts on Chernobyl.
Kai Erikson, PhD [PDF]
- Enemies of Utopia.
B. Louria, MD [PDF]
- Forsaking Reassurance: A Prescription for Physician Leadership
on the Environment.
Anthony Robbins, MD, M.P.A. [PDF]
VOLUME 2, NUMBER 1 - 1992
- Health Care After Chernobyl: Radiation, Scarcity, and Fear.
Andrew M. Davis, MD [PDF]
- Gunshot Injuries With Plastic Bullets Treated in
a Small Community Hospital in the Gaza Strip.
Jay J. Schnitzer, MD, PhD [PDF]
Pitfalls in Studies of Low-Dose Ionizing Radiation: The Healthy Dose Effect, Significance
Questing, and Exposure Reductionism.
Gregg S. Wilkinson, PhD [PDF]
and Biological Defense Research.
Leonard A. Cole, PhD [PDF]
for Life and Community Solidarity: An International Perspective.
M. Mann, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 4 - 1991
- Child Survival and Global Sustainability: Malthus Revisted.
Waldman, MD, MPH [PDF]
- "The World We Have Lost": Western Historiography
and Attitudes Toward Death and Bereavement Among Peoples of Pre-Industrial Europe.
Janelle Greenberg, PhD [PDF]
- Difficulties in Verifying the Use of Chemical
Weapons and the Implications: Some Brief Case Studies.
Jan L. Willems, MD,
- Nuclear Disarmament.
Eduard A. Sheverdnadze [PDF]
- How German
Firms Helped Arm Iraq.
Joachim Bartelt, Arend Wellmann [PDF]
- Humanity at
War: The Environmental Price.
Abdullah Toukan, PhD [PDF]
- The Animal Victims
of the Gulf War.
John Loretz [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 3 - 1991
- Osthofen: The Terrain of Denial.
Hartmut M. Hanauske-Abel, MD [PDF]
- Operation Just Cause: A Case Study in Estimation
of Casualties After War.
Paul Wise, MD, Nancy D. Arnison, J.S., Gregg Bloche,
MD, J.D., Jane G. Schaller, MD [PDF]
- A Comprehensive Epidemiologic Data
S. Jay Olshansky, PhD, Gary Williams, PhD [PDF]
- Jimmy Carter
Speaks to Physicians.
Jimmy Carter [PDF]
- Needed: A National Program for
Disaster Medical Preparedness.
Leo V. Bosner, Larry S. Jordan [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 2 - 1991
- Nerve Gases.
Alan H. Lockwood, MD [PDF]
- Fostering Ecological and Human Health.
D. Cortese, Sc.D., Audrey S. Armoudlian [PDF]
- Social Choices in the Arms Race.
Oscar Arias-Sanchez, PhD [PDF]
- Global Security: A Role for Health Professionals.
Andrew Haines, MD [PDF]
- Quid Est Amor Patriae.
Victor W. Sidel, MD [PDF]
Conscientious Objection, and Physicians for Social Responsibility.
T. Young. MD [PDF]
- Why I Serve.
Edward B. Marsh, MD [PDF]
- The Obligation
Ira Helfand, MD [PDF]
- Conscience and Obligation: Physicians
and "Just War."
H. Jack Geiger, MD [PDF]
VOLUME 1, NUMBER 1 - 1991
- The Neutron Bomb.
Michael McCally, MD, PhD [PDF]
- The Health Effects of Radioactive Fallout
on Marshall Islanders: Health Policy Issues of Nuclear Weapons Production.
Thomas E. Hamilton, MD, PhD [PDF]
- The Labyrinth of Biological Defense.
Meryl Nass, MD [PDF]
- Biological Weapons Research and Physicians: Historical
and Ethical Analysis.
Victor W. Sidel, MD [PDF]
- Death and Numbers: Semmelweis
Herbert F. Spirer, PhD, Louise Spirer [PDF]
in Responsibility: Alice Stewart
Christine K. Cassel, MD.